I used Trader Joe’s tri-color quinoa, but you can use whatever kind you like – red or white/buff. Also, you can substitute milk with low-fat soy milk, blueberries with blackberries, honey or agave nectar for pure maple syrup, and walnuts for the almonds.
- Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, roast the almonds on a skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Mix toasted almonds and cinnamon into quinoa.
- Serve into 4 bowls. Drizzle maple syrup over each serving, and top with blueberries.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of sliced almonds, toasted
- Pure maple syrup
- 1.5 cup of blueberries