By: The Working Girl’s Kitchen
Tis the season for one of my favorite cruciferous vegetables, Brussels sprouts. Not only are they tasty, but they provide amazing nutrients to our bodies.
Health benefits: Brussels sprouts
- Cancer prevention: Brussels sprouts provide nutrient support for 3 body systems that are closely connected with cancer development and prevention: 1) the detox system; 2) antioxidant system; and 3) inflammatory/anti-inflammatory system.
- Antioxidants: Brussels sprouts are an important dietary source of many vitamin antioxidants, including vitamins, C, E and A, the antioxidant mineral manganese, and flavonoid antioxidants isorhamnetin, quercitin and kaempferol.
- Digestion: In every one cup of Brussels sprouts, there are 4 grams of fiber. You receive half of your daily value of fiber from only 200 calories’ worth of this vegetable.
- Preheat oven 450.
- Toss sprouts in oil, lemon and garlic.
- Spread out sprouts onto a baking pan. Lightly season with fresh ground salt and pepper. Place in oven. Roast for 18-24 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts in a pan on medium high heat.
- Mix pine nuts and a light sprinkling of feta cheese with the roasted Brussels sprouts before serving.
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1/2 juice of lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- Salt and pepper
- Feta cheese