- Place the peas in a large pot or bowl, cover with water by 2 inches and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain the peas and set aside. Soak ham hocks overnight (reduces sodium).
- Place onions, garlic, celery, diced ham and carrots in large pot over medium heat.
- Once ham is browned a bit and vegetables are just soft, add ham hocks, peas and water. Bring the pot to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Add marjoram, fresh pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Let simmer for about 2 hours until the peas are tender (add more water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick or dry).
- Remove ham hocks and throw out.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 cup diced ham
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsps marjoram spice
- 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- 7 cups of water