By: The Working Girl’s Kitchen
I went to Trader Joe’s (TJ) this past weekend to pick up protein powder along with other groceries. I noticed that TJ sold hemp protein powder. Seeing that the ingredients only included hemp and cocoa, I decided to give it a shot. I love that there were only two ingredients whereas with whey protein powder, there is a longer list of interesting sounding additives.
For this recipe I used dried goji berries. I generally purchase a bag of these through Amazon. Goji berries are amazing! They are unique among fruits because they contain all essential amino acids. These berries also have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit. Gram for gram, goji berries pack more vitamin C than some oranges and more beta-carotene than carrots. They are high in fiber and boast 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach, as well as calcium, zinc, selenium and many other important trace mineral. You can eat them by the handful or add them to your cereal and smoothies.
Note: I found this recipe a bit more difficult to stir and spread onto the baking sheet. I think this may be because hemp powder does not dissolve like whey protein. Also of note, hemp powder is best used for baking. We tried to mix it with liquid to make a protein shake. As I stated previously though, hemp does not disintegrate so you’ll find yourself drinking a shake that seems full of coffee grinds.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, combine the banana, agave nectar, peanut butter, protein powder, chia seeds, flax seeds and oats. Pulse until smooth. You should be able to stir the mixture — if it is too thick, add in another tablespoon or two of agave nectar.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the almonds and goji berries until evenly combined.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into bars. Store in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware container.
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 2 cups chocolate hemp powder