This is a great holiday side dish. For dried cranberries, I generally purchase from Whole Foods or Trader Joes (they carry dried cranberries with less sugar than those packaged by large national companies such as Ocean Spray).
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Toast the sliced almonds in a skillet over medium heat, 3-5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, cranberries and spices (thyme, cumin, turmeric, and pepper) in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain rice if needed; stir in onion mixture and almonds.
Yield: 4 servings.
- 3 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste